Sunday, October 23, 2005

Rabbits in pet strollers

We were asked the following in a comment to a prior post:

Hi, I'm really interested to know if anyone has bought a pet stroller for their rabbit? Our rabbit loves the fresh air, but for his own safety we only take him on a lead in the garden. He gets PLENTY of exercise within our home as he has the run of the house, but he loves the outdoors and doesn't like being parted from us - a pet stroller seems the perfect answer. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks very much.

Believe it or not, we've never been asked about rabbits in the pet stroller, nor have any of our customers mentioned using a pet stroller for a rabbit. We've sold hundreds of pet strollers, so we suspect someone has used theirs for a bunny, but no one has specifically mentioned doing so.

We'll contact our distributors to see if they have any experience with rabbits and pet strollers, and we'll post the info here. I wouldn't see why a pet stroller wouldn't work any better or worse for rabbits than any other kind of pet, but we'll try to find out if someone has some specific experience or advice to share. Thanks for asking!

4 comments:

Augie Ray said...

I'm afraid we received no feedback from our network of suppliers and customers about rabbits in a pet stroller. We don't see any reason why a pet stroller wouldn't work to help transport your bunnies, but I'm afraid we have no "inside info" to share with you. If you have any specific questions, please let us know.

Anonymous said...

Rabbits are not a good match for pet strollers. While the netting can stand an awful lot of chewing, most dogs and cats won't even attempt to chew and the ones that do may just give it a try. Rabbits are chewing machines, and unless you are good about monitoring your rabbit in the stroller, it's likely they may succeeding in damaging the netting.

As you can tell, I have some experience with pet strollers. I've never seen a problem with chewing and dogs and cats, but rabbits can be a different story.

Anonymous said...

I have a rabbit and she just loves her pet stroller.
When I purchased the stroller I had my concerns about my rabbit chewing the mesh up. But so far so good. I have taken my rabbit to the mall with me and the movies in the stroller. She loves the mall and looking at all the people. I think it depends on your Rabbit's personality. If your Rabbit is timid it may not work but if you have a more outgoing rabbit it might be just what you and your rabbit need.

Augie Ray said...

Well, thanks to the two anonymous posters for opinions on different ends of the spectrum. I guess if you live with a rabbit and are thinking of a pet stroller, you'll have to reach your own conclusion based on this feedback--one person says rabbits chew too much and will damage the netting, and another who says her rabbit loves the stroller and doesn't chew at all.

Is your rabbit a chewer? I guess maybe that's the primary question if you're considering a pet stroller.

Thanks for the input!